Sunday, June 5, 2011

My contract with the Orland Fire Protection District and full transparency

Bookmark and Share

Because I strongly believe in transparency in public records, and because that is one of the most important issues facing the Orland Fire Protection District, I felt it was very important to disclose (again) my consulting contract with the OFPD.

The prior media consultant was managing media for the OFPD was Bill Figel. I don't know Bill Figel, the principal at Figel Communications, and have not worked with him in the past. But I know that he was a professional. The Orland Fire Protection District was paying Figel Communications, according to spending documents that I have reviewed, $4,000 per month.

When I was asked by Board President Jim Hickey to consider the position of communications consultant, I offered to do the work for less and recommended a $3,000 per month consulting contract. That is a savings for the Orland Fire Protection District of $12,000 per year.

Trustees Hickey, Blair Rhode and Chris Evoy indicated to me that their priority is to save money wherever possible (without impacting quality firefighter services) and to also promote transparency ina ll the contracts and expenses.

My contract is for one year a.dnd is reneweable at the end of each year, subject to the approval of the Board of Trustees.

I agree that it is so important that the Board of Trustees strive for transparency and disclosure to the public while striving to also achieve savings for the taxpayers. I will do my best not only to help the trustees compose their press releases to keep the residents of the Orland Fire Protection District completely informed of what is taking place, but to also insure transparency whenever it is possible and doesn't violate the rights of other employees, etc. I'll use this blog and will also place releases and information on the OFPD web site for public scrutiny.

That's my commitment to the Orland region's public.

Ray Hanania


No comments:

Post a Comment